Bernard Muhia.
From performing for the Honourable Martha Karua to being shortlisted for a StoryMoja Hay Poetry award, to my poems being featured on CNN International, to now being a farmer. This blog is about my transition from being a poet to a farmer.

Sunday, October 7, 2012

We are all winners

I've just passed by a group of sheep and I noticed that the offspring -five kids, were trying to conquer a small molehill. Each one wanted to be on top by trying to push the others off the molehill with its head.

We live in a world where winner takes all and this necessitates a cut-throat competitive culture that I consider unhealthy. Ever since primary school, I have not been a big fan of competition. I don't watch the English Premier league or follow the Kenyan League either, I don't see the sense really. I never did participate in sports much in high school either. I believe that we can all win.

Now I know that sounds lofty and some might even say wussy, but unlike in war, I believe that in life there can be win-win scenarios. All it takes is bigger men and women coming together and realizing that there is more than enough. There are more than enough resources for us all. Rich people dont have to hoard everything, live and let live. Now I'm not advocating for the rich to give away their money, although that would be good, neither am I preaching communism. I just think that the world needs a little bit more spiritualism.

Now, this is different from religionism in that spiritualism says that we are all connected, all small pieces of one big jigsaw puzzle, and that my part is connected to other people's parts, and their parts connected to mine. And so their fate is my fate and my fate is their fate. None of us can do this alone. Some will be buyers and others sellers, some will be employers and others employees, we all need each other and hence each person is valuable in that way. So let's recognize this truth that we are one and there really is no need to put others down for you to win, for we can all win. The podium is big enough for us all. Heck it's so big that even our latest scientific telescopes cannot see the end of it. Thats our podium, the entire universe.         

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.9

No comments:

Post a Comment