Bernard Muhia.
From performing for the Honourable Martha Karua to being shortlisted for a StoryMoja Hay Poetry award, to my poems being featured on CNN International, to now being a farmer. This blog is about my transition from being a poet to a farmer.

Monday, October 1, 2012

A Million New Young Farmers

I will start this post with Busta Rhymes and T-pain on their Hustlers' Anthem track where T-pain sings the hook like "I keep hustling dough, yea, yea, yea". This is what I have set out to do. And its not just about hustling dough, but I also want to start a campaign to get a million new young people interested in and involved in farming as their main-stay or side-hustle.

Farming has mostly been viewed as a retirees' pass time activity or a rich ranchers' sport. My plan is to make it an initiative for young people just like me. I want to get young people excited about the prospect of farming, because it is. I am writing about my awesome and sometimes not so awesome experiences as a young new farmer in Kitengela and I am pushing to have these lifestyle feature articles published in weekend editions of newspapers or magazines and in my blog, FB and Twitter pages. I am also talking to companies involved in agribusiness to bankroll a guerilla persuasion campaign that will get the youth into farming. I am even willing to sacrifice my image and privacy to this campaign (hehe). I have done some mock-up ads of how the campaign visuals will look like. I also want to promote the concept of Agritourism through farm-stays. I have an image of a two bedroom house on one corner of the farm, a seperate kitchen, washrooms with the flushing feature, two or four round huts for guests with two beds each. The huts will be used to house farming enthusiasts and people interested in farming. I can just see the homestead from where I am seated on an old beehive at the corner of the farm.

The other attractions will be the four zebras and two gazelles with their young ones that roam near the farm. I always see young boys chasing those gazelles but can never get close to them. The mzee caretaker at the farm also tells me that within a half day's walk south of here, there are wildbeasts and ostriches. I didn't know that!

Our grandparents used to farm, now its our time to farm - its a case of 'same hustle, different age'. I'm looking at the west side of the farm and noticing the acacia trees near the seasonal river 500 meters from the edge of the farm, I realize that we can have camping gear set up under those trees. The fifty acres that belong to the mzee who sold us the three acres can also be used for paintball games. All in all, the list of what can be done here is endless. By the way, today is the start of the ASK Nairobi trade fair- the Holy Grail of farming, I hope to attend before the last day on Sunday, see you there. I am now focussed on farming as my main-hustle and I want to entice you to be a part-time/ full-time farmer or as Friends of Farmers, will you join me as a brand ambassador, follow this blog through the button on the right and share this page as a Friend of Farmers.

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.9

No comments:

Post a Comment