Bernard Muhia.
From performing for the Honourable Martha Karua to being shortlisted for a StoryMoja Hay Poetry award, to my poems being featured on CNN International, to now being a farmer. This blog is about my transition from being a poet to a farmer.

Thursday, September 6, 2012

Tackling Rejection

Right from when we are younglings, we crave attention and acceptance, something that doesn’t change as we grow older. Well, the attention part may vary from one person to the next but we all have a need for acceptance. I am witnessing here on the farm in Kitengela, a sheep that gave birth to twins but is rejecting one of them. It pushes it away when the kid tries to suckle while fondling the other one. I am not sure why it’s behaving so but my guess is that it thinks there isn’t enough milk for both twins and is thus giving one a full-blown chance for survival while rejecting the other. My struggle with finding harmony between success and spirituality has over the years produced feelings of both acceptance and rejection. Acceptance is in the sense that I feel camaraderie with the masses when for example I am walking on the street or while traveling in a Matatu (Public Service Vehicle). On the other hand, the rejection is in the sense that I feel (whether rightly or not) feelings of rejection from the masses when I’m driving. There is that feeling of disconnect and the ‘Oh ye holier than thou’ looks from matatu passengers and pedestrians when you are driving. So, in my efforts to find harmony between success and spirituality, I have to tackle this real or perceived rejection since both spirituality and success form part of my hierarchy of values. My ideal situation is where I use my wealth to create connections with humanity through simple interactions like buying mboga (vegetables) from the corner shop to interactions with greater implications like philanthropy. So now I begin to see my wealth as a tool to explore and experience my spirituality. My desire henceforth is that my hierarchy of values reflects this new dispensation and my habits and behaviours around these two values change to reflect this new understanding both on the conscious and subconscious levels of my being. I am now using farming as a wealth creation tool and the fact that I am doing it in Kitengela strokes my spirituality in that I have always wanted to live in a simple semi-arid area. I do want to create harmony between spirituality and success and live a successful and spiritual life. So this calls on me to realize that the two can co-exist just like the twins can survive on the sheep’s milk because it’s the nutrients in the milk that are important, not the quantity. Raise your milk glasses for a toast to both spirituality and success. Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment