Bernard Muhia.
From performing for the Honourable Martha Karua to being shortlisted for a StoryMoja Hay Poetry award, to my poems being featured on CNN International, to now being a farmer. This blog is about my transition from being a poet to a farmer.

Friday, September 21, 2012

Life is Good

My good friends over at LG say that Life is good and I couldn’t agree with them more. As I seat here in a plastic chair at my door, reading a book by Kathryn Kuhlman, I can’t help but feel the serenity and appreciate the awareness, something within me, it knows me, and it knows the Universe. Looking out to my right, I see vast flat land dotted with green trees and brown savannah grass with hills in the distance. I appreciate the fact that we own three acres of this vast untapped land in Kitengela and I’m getting ready to tap it. As I type this out, I am literally waiting for a neighbour’s tractor to come over and start to plough up the three acres, picking up from where I left off. Life is interesting in many ways. To think that I was that little kid who had been screwed over by life when my folks decided to quit their marriage, and to now see how far I have come that it doesn’t define me anymore. I had a candid one with the caretaker Mzee (my elder) here at the farm and I found out that he had the same background. The difference is that I don’t think he’s even processed it much or even talked about it. I could see his eyes water as he narrated to me his story. It’s then that I realized that poetry might have just saved me. At the beginning, my poetry was an outlet for all those bottled up emotions from childhood. I let them breathe, I let them free through poetry and it really loosened me up. On the outside, I may seem like the same guy but deep within, there is a lot that I let go, a lot that I forgave, and a lot that I processed. Now I am whole, and despite the fact that I don’t want kids of my own, I think I turned out okay. I am at peace with myself, with my life and things are really opening up for me in a big way. The rain clouds in the horizon are giving birth to showers of wealth. I am deeply spiritual and in-tune with myself. I feel successful, I feel connected, I feel independent, and I feel that freedom. There are many things that I haven’t done, but I am glad that I have loved, loved myself. I appreciate this far that life has brought me and I recognize that life is yet to take me to the Heavens. Life is good, and it will continue to be so. That much I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment