Bernard Muhia.
From performing for the Honourable Martha Karua to being shortlisted for a StoryMoja Hay Poetry award, to my poems being featured on CNN International, to now being a farmer. This blog is about my transition from being a poet to a farmer.

Saturday, August 17, 2013

Market Day

I read somewhere that sustainable farming is about building relationships, living with purpose and making enough profits to lead a desirable way of life. This couldn't be any closer to the truth. Last saturday I took my melons to a farmers' market at a restaurant in Karen. The day was amazing as I got to meet a different clientele plus I was giving an irresistible offer of two big melons plus a bonus baby melon or three medium melons plus a bonus baby melon. I got to sell about half of the sacks I went with and I would have sold everything but the regular farmers were saying that it was a slow day that market day.

My birthday also came in the middle of this week and to fulfill my philanthropic duties, I gave a sack of melons to the students at Ngong Township Primary school for them to enjoy. It almost brought tears to my eyes.

I'll be going back to the farm tomorrow to plan for my next crop which is coriander commonly known as dania. I like farming and the prestige it has among young people who I think live vicariously through me. I am glad to be that vessel. Till we meet again, stay hungry, and I will feed ya :)   

Published with Blogger-droid v2.0.9

No comments:

Post a Comment