Bernard Muhia.
From performing for the Honourable Martha Karua to being shortlisted for a StoryMoja Hay Poetry award, to my poems being featured on CNN International, to now being a farmer. This blog is about my transition from being a poet to a farmer.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Preparation

The farming drive is coming along so beautifully. Yesterday I had a meeting with an agricultural consultant on how to proceed on the farm. Mr Wainaina works with DOOR International which is where we met at their offices and farm in Rongai and I got to see the work he has done for them so far. I have to admit its a pretty impressive operation because the five acre farm is able to make an average of Kshs 200,000 every month by producing various types of crops and fish fingerlings.

As we continued to engage, I decided to have him advice me on my venture as opposed to going to Amiran Kenya straight away. He in fact discouraged me from starting off with the greenhouse because I am still 'green' at this and hence the need to familiarize myself with the operations of a farm. He however said that as we go along, then conditions might get perfect for the introduction of a greenhouse on the farm. We also discussed the option of keeping rabbits, quails and German Shepherds for sale to mostly private security companies and individuals.

It is to this end that today I went to the Ministry of Agriculture and Livestock veterinary at Ngong to book rabbits for breeding. A kid is going for Kshs 750 and it is my desire to have at least five. While there, I also booked a three day training session for November on the rearing of rabbits for commercial purposes.

Tomorrow I will be taking Mr Wainaina, the consultant, to the farm to do an initial assessment to work out a plan of action that will include things to do as well as expectations on the financial gain from the activities that I will be engaging in. I believe that working with professionals where money is involved and expected is always the right way to go about it, after all, I am getting into farming as a business not as a hobby. He was a lecturer at JKUAT at one point and hence has a repository of knowledge and practical experience which I want to harness for the farm.

May the farming begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment